Skip links
Published on: Advice

How Do I Share My Concerns with An Elderly Loved One?

Ageing parents and loved ones can be concerning for most people, particularly when people who once cared for you now need care themselves.

It can be hard if you struggle to come to terms with a loved one getting older and generally, families fail to discuss the important issues. These can include financial issues, medical care and long-term living arrangements.

So, if you do have any concern about an elderly loved one, you may be wondering how you can share it?

Put Yourself in Their Shoes

Sometimes people find it difficult to have open conversations because you don’t want to cause offence. However, if you are worried about someone, the best thing you can do is talk to them. You should discuss your concerns together and listen to one another in an open and frank discussion, without assuming you know what is best straight away.

Be Clear About What the Issue Is

Sometimes there may be a simple solution to the problem and it is important to find out what the issue is before making assumptions.

Maybe they’re not eating because they cannot go to the shops or they’re not taking care of themselves because they’re struggling to get around the house.

Whatever the issue may be, it is best to establish it and then find out what the next steps are to find a solution to the problem.

Are You Considering Living with Your Loved One?

If you are concerned for a loved one and you have decided living with them is the best option, there are some things to consider. Firstly, you must ensure that your loved one is onboard with the idea and that they are willing to give up their independence.

This includes the financial and legal considerations if you consider joint ownership of a larger home, household costs and legal arrangements. Also, you may want to consider the more practical issues, such as space, expectations of family and social life as well as the compromise of sharing your living space with an additional person.

If you are considering living with a loved one, make sure that you are able to give them the care and the attention they need, otherwise it may be better to consider other options. If they are not willing to give up their independence by living with someone else, it may be worth considering home care. Minster Home Care offers packages from as little as 3-hours day, so you can be safe in the knowledge that your loved one is being care for in the comfort of their own home.


Adult safeguarding is defined as protecting an adult’s right to live in safety, free from neglect and abuse.

If you are concerned about an elderly loved one that may be neglecting themselves or their environment and they may be unable to protect themselves, you need to contact the local council of where the person lives. This should be done with their consent where possible.

More Information and Advice

If you think someone is at immediate risk of harm, you must call the emergency services on 999. If you are concerned about someone’s health or welfare, but you do not think it is an emergency, call 111 for 24/7 NHS advice.

To find out more about the home care services we can offer you and your loved one, or if you need some advice about how to care for someone you love, contact Minster Home Care today.